LYMPHATIC DRAINAGE MASSAGE
What is Lymphatic Drainage Massage?
It is a light technique, first developed in the early 1800’s, designed to decongest and enhance the flow of the body’s lymphatic fluid through to an area where it can be neutralized and removed from the body. Due to its cleansing, relaxing and energising properties, the lymphatic system also plays an integral role in the immunity of the body and can therefore be used in conjunction with many health programs. It works wonderfully on the nervous system, stimulates the defences of the immune system and increases the flow and volume of lymph fluid. People will often feel the results for as long as a week.
Why do people choose Lymphatic Drainage Massage?
- Cellulite, Stretch Marks, Scars
- Chronic Fatigue, Lethargy
- Weight Loss
- Sporting Injuries, Arthritis
- Neurological Disorders, Stress
- General Well Being- Relaxation
- Pre/Post Surgery
- Post Mastectomy
- Skin problems
What is the Lymphatic System?
The lymphatic System is one of the five main elimination channels in your body along with skin, lungs, kidneys & bowels. It is a major route for the absorption of nutrients from digestion into the tissues and it is also your bodies metabolic waste-disposal system. It clears toxins and waste which can not be removed by any other means from your tissues and cells. These are by-products of metabolic wastes, stress, dead cells, metals, in organic substances and other assorted debris which your cells cast off.
Lymphatic system has two major Roles
The lymphatic system can be seen to have a myriad of interconnected roles in maintaining the homeostasis and health of the body.
- Returning protein to the blood. Protein is the major basic building material of the body so in order to grow and replenish, the different cells of the body require a daily protein intake which is received from the body’s circulatory system. Lymphatic capillaries collect the excess protein which is not being used by the cells and return it to the blood vascular system so that it can be used in other braches of the body. It is responsible for transporting up to 90% of used protein back into the body. Wow!
- Removes fluid & metabolic waste. The lymphatic system can be seen as the garbage disposal system of the body. The failure of improper waste removal results in an accumulation of smelly, unhealthy disease bearing waste which can not only clog up the immediate area but overflow and pollute other systems of the body.
Major functions of the Lymphatic System
- Maintains connective tissue to optimal state
- Carries toxins out of interstitial spaces, helps transport lymphocytes and hormones throughout the body (immune reaction),
- Filter for harmful substances & bacterial infection
- Maintains balance of fluids in the tissues & recovers substances that have escaped into the tissues.
- Malignant/acute infections- it is important to contain & combat any malignancies or infections. Given that the lymphatic system is a transport system it can potentially spread these pathogens.
- Acute hypertension- As lymphatic drainage massage deposits fluid in the blood circulatory system, it can place excess strain on the heart and interfere with hypertensive medicines.
- Renal Disease – Excess fluid is flushed out of the body via the kidneys. This extra fluid can exacerbate kidney disease.
You may experience these effects for up to 24/36 hours whilst toxins are being eliminated:
- Frequent urination
- Vivid dreams
- Increased perception
Lymphatic Drainage Massage is seen to affect the body in three main ways
- It mechanically works on the nervous system by sedating the sensory and pain receptors found close to the skins surface.
- The immune system is strengthened & it helps support the immune reactivity by flushing toxins through body tissue to nodal sites where they can be neutralised.
- Is the primary vehicle to remove fluid from the connective tissue and transport it back to blood circulation so that it can be flushed out of the body.
Please click on the photo below for more information on your practitioner.
Cert IV Massage,
Diploma Remedial Massage,
Batchelor of Exercise Science
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT CONTACT
Suncoast Natural Therapies Clinic
Wellness Chiropractic Centre
71 Bowman Road, Caloundra Qld 4551
Phone 5491 3024